Oh ladies, I’m soooo excited! I’ve just finished my first furniture staining job!!
I know, it has been done a gazillion times, but still it doesn’t make me any less proud; finally the cabinet in the small bathroom looks so new and crisp!
Let’s go to and see the cabinet, the way it looked BEFORE:
…yep, as you see, orange oak cabinets. My plan? Re-stain the cabinets and replace the countertop and faucet.
I’m always looking for innovative product that can save me time, money, without sacrificing the quality, of course :). So, I searched on the Internet for reviews of staining oak cabinets without sanding/ stripping the old finish – that’s what I needed.
And guess what I found?? “Faux Effects Stain and Seal”, and bought it in my favorite color American Walnut.
Love it, love it, love it!!! It’s a water-based gel-like stain. Just wipe it on with a rag, and it will stain and seal at once.
Let’s go over the materials I used:
– TSP – to clean the cabinets
– cheap foam brushes
– “Wipe-On Poly” from Minwax
– foam backer rod(you will see later on why)
– wood filler
I started by taking off the doors, the fake drawer, and all the hardware. And that’s how the doors and drawer looked like, after the first stain application with the rag and the afterwards wipe:
Not very promising, eh?…and a long way to go for the rich color I needed!
I decided to use the foam brushes instead of the rag. And all went on much quicker. Everything was stained along the grain.( Don’t forget the plastic gloves when staining!!)
After I was done with the doors and drawer, I started staining the cabinet itself before the countertop was replaced. Oops, what was I thinking??…Thank goodness I wanted a dark color.
Two other problems I had to fix on the spot: the space in between the countertop and the top of the cabinet, and also I decided to remove the corner oak trims to give the cabinet a cleaner look.
How I fixed these issues: I squeezed foam backer rod in the space, and on top of it, and the remaining space I filled it with wood filler.
I don’t know if that’s the professional way, but it did the job.
For the second issue – to get an uniform stain – I just continued staining in the spots not touched in the first place, and then staining the normal way.
For top coat, I used 3 coats of Wipe-On Poly from Minwax( again the wiping was done along the grain).
All hardware got replaced( with the help of my husband):
Now, I got a bathroom cabinet with new countertop( a Craiglist find at half price), new faucets( at clearance price from Overstock), and warm, rich, walnut color:
More work to finish the whole bathroom to follow :)!
Have a happy Friday everybody!
Linking to Addicted 2 Decorating